Let's face it. Pesky pigeons are free to fly anywhere and everywhere but -- thou shalt not nest on an eave, roof or ledge.
Did you know bird-related damage is responsible for about 5% of all solar panel system failures? And solar panel owners report a 10% increase in energy production once they've installed bird mesh protection?*
If birds nest under solar panels, they can cause a variety of issues that can reduce your solar panels efficiency.
- Their droppings are highly acidic and can corrode the surface of panels
- Their nests can block sunlight from reaching the panels.
- Nests can also cause hot spots on panels, which can lead to overheating and potential damage.
- Birds can also cause damage to the wiring and other components of a solar panel system.
- They can peck at and break wires, which can disrupt the flow of electricity and lead to system failures.
- Lastly, the debris from bird nests can clog up the ventilation systems of solar panels. Proper ventilation is crucial as it helps to keep them cool.
Bird mesh for solar panels is the best preventative maintenance you can invest in. The mesh prevents birds from accessing the area under the panels which is a popular nesting spot particularly for pigeons.
PS: check out this excellent clip below to see a bird safe roof. While this is could be a DIY install, safety reasons best to have a professional do the job.